Points of Interest

THE LANDING PLACE OF THE PILGRIMS is about opposite the easterly end of North Street, where the famous Plymouth Rock will eventually repose with a fitting architectural setting.


BURIAL HILL, the resting place of most of the Pilgrims who died after the first winter, is practically in the middle of town, a block west of Main Street.  Many are the quaint stones to be found here.


THE NATIONAL MONUMENT TO THE FOREFATHERS stands on a rise of ground reached by Cushman or Allerton Street from Court street, which is the main artery running north through the town.


PILGRIM HALL, which houses the collection of Pilgrim relics, stands at the corner of Chilton and Court Streets, about ten minutes’ walk from the town centre.  Here may be found many interesting and historical objects well worth seeing.


THE FIRST PARISH CHURCH was the original church of the Pilgrims, and is located at the head of Town Square.




THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, known as the “Church of the Pilgrimage,” stands at the foot of Burial Hill.


THE GEN. JOHN WINSLOW HOUSE stands on the corner of Main and North Streets. Gen. Winslow was at one time an officer in the service of the crown.  James Warren, President of the Provincial Congress, also lived here at one time.


THE OLD HOWLAND HOUSE, built in 1666, on Sandwich Street, was purchased by the Howland Descendants and completely resorted for annual meetings.  It is open to the public at specified times


THE WINSLOW HOUSE, a good example of colonial architecture, was built about 1754 by Edward Winslow, a great-grandson of Gov. Winslow of the colony.  The house is situated on Winslow Street off North Street.  Some additions have been made to eh original structure.


THE SGT. WILLIAM HARLOW HOUSE was built in 1677, of timbers from the Old Fort on Burial Hill.  This house stands on court Street and is no owned by the Plymouth Antiquarian Society and is open to the public.


THE WILLIAM CROWE HOUSE is about two miles north of Market Square and was built in 1664


THE KENDALL HOLMES HOUSE was built in 1666 and stands on Winter Street.


THE LEACH HOUSE, built in 1689, is on Summer Street, west of the town’s centre.


LEYDEN STREET, originally called “First Street,” ran from Water Street to Burial Hill.  A short distance below the water front is the site of the first house.               

     

MORTON PARK is an attractive spot lying about a mile out, reached by Summer Street.  It is a natural park, consisting of nearly 200 acres of beautiful open country, brooks, ponds, hills and valleys.  Little Pond and Billington Sea are not far beyond from the reservation.


LONG BEACH reaches into the bay, forming a shelter or inner harbor, behind which the Mayflower dropped her anchor.  To reach Long Beach, follow Sandwich Street to Jabez corner, to Warren Ave., approximately two miles from Town Square.  Electric cars cover the greater part of the distance.


THE MYLES STANDISH MONUMENT, and House built by the famous Captain’s son in 1666, are to be found in Duxbury, which is about twelve miles from Plymouth and conveniently reached by the shore division of the N.Y.N.H.&H.R.R.

THE JOHN ALDEN HOUSE, one of the two famous old pilgrim houses, still stand in Duxbury.


THE PLYMOUTH CORDAGE COMPANY plant in North Plymouth is the largest concern of its kind in the entire world.  Great cargoes of fiber are brought in ships direct from Yucatan to Plymouth.  The Company has opened a miniature plant where every operation which takes place can be viewed within a small space by the visitor.  The plant can be reached by electric car to North Plymouth.